translation questions (part 2)

Christian Stimming stimming at tuhh.de
Wed May 14 18:09:30 CDT 2003

Jon Lapham schrieb:
> Next round of translation questions.  :)
>
> 1) What is the difference (in English) between a "bill" and an
> "invoice"?  I'm guessing that a bill is the piece of paper that says you
> owe X amount of money, whereas an invoice is an itemized list?

A native speaker should comment here... in the glossary
po/glossary/gnc-glossary.txt (did you have a look there?) I've just
written:

"bill"  "A written statement of money owed for goods or services
supplied. In Gnucash, a 'bill' is a statement that we received, whereas
an 'invoice' is one that we sent out."
"invoice"       "A list of goods sold or services provided together with
the prices charged; see also: a bill. In Gnucash, an 'invoice' is a
statement that we sent out, whereas a 'bill' is one that we received."

> 2) What does it mean to "realize" a window?  I'm thinking it means the
> window should never appear...
> #: src/gnome/glade/sched-xact.glade.h:182
> msgid "This window should never be realized."

I guess you are right. The string in question is not intended to
actually be visible for the user.

> 3) How have people handled situations where a single English word can
> have 2 different means?  For example, "order".  In portuguese this
> translates as "ordem" when referring to the "order of a list", or it
> means "pedido" when referring to "place an order".

Congratulations, you found *the* big issue of the gettext tools. The
answer here is: The gettext are fundamentally broken here since they
can't deal with this situation. A different example is "transfer", which
could either be the verb "to transfer some amount", or it could be the
noun "a transfer is the action of moving money around", and of course
these require two different words in almost any language except english.
There have been some trials with a wrapper around the gettext call,
expressed by the macro Q_ (for "qualified" msgid), and there is still
code in src/engine/messages.h (also see comment in
src/engine/messages.c), but most of the msgids in question appear inside
glade code and thus the call to gettext cannot be intercepted.

Answer: If the translation is used in both places, you need to find a
translation that isn't too confusing when it shows up in both places.
Other than that, you need to check manually which meaning is currently
in use. Good Luck... If you want some original strings to be changed,
you are free to propose that here.

> 4) What is meant by this?  What is the "Card"?
> #: src/business/business-gnome/glade/invoice.glade.h:4
> msgid "Additional to Card:"
>
> 5) Is "proximo" a real word in English?
> #: src/business/business-gnome/glade/billterms.glade.h:25
> #: src/business/business-gnome/dialog-billterms.c:481
> msgid "Proximo"
>
> 6) What is a Chargeback Project?
> #: src/business/business-gnome/glade/invoice.glade.h:19
> msgid "Default Chargeback Project"

All these can best be answered by the one who wrote the business-gnome
module ... Derek? :-)

Christian