translation questions (part 2)

Jon Lapham lapham at extracta.com.br
Wed May 14 13:33:12 CDT 2003

Christian Stimming wrote:
> Jon Lapham schrieb:
>
>> Next round of translation questions.  :)
>>
>> 1) What is the difference (in English) between a "bill" and an
>> "invoice"?  I'm guessing that a bill is the piece of paper that says
>> you owe X amount of money, whereas an invoice is an itemized list?
>
> A native speaker should comment here... in the glossary
> po/glossary/gnc-glossary.txt (did you have a look there?) I've just
> written:

Oh, wow, no I had not noticed that file.  Great, that answers the
question nicely.

>> 2) What does it mean to "realize" a window?  I'm thinking it means the
>> window should never appear...
>> #: src/gnome/glade/sched-xact.glade.h:182
>> msgid "This window should never be realized."
>
> I guess you are right. The string in question is not intended to
> actually be visible for the user.

Okay.

One other question I forgot to add to my original message.  What does it
mean to "post" (and "unpost") something?  Specifically, what is the
difference between "unposting" an invoice, and simply deleting the
invoice?

#: src/business/business-core/gncInvoice.c:903
msgid "Generated from an invoice.  Try unposting the invoice."

Here are the other texts which have post in them:

#: src/business/business-core/gncInvoice.c:1329
msgid " (posted)"

#: src/business/business-gnome/glade/payment.glade.h:7
msgid "Post To"

#: src/business/business-gnome/glade/billterms.glade.h:35
msgid ""
"The number of days after the post date during which a discount will be "
"applied for early payment."

Sometimes I think "post" has some special financial meaning, and
sometimes I think it simply means "to enter in to gnucash".

If the word post does have some special meaning, I think it should be
added to the gnc-glossary.txt file.  Which, I will do once I learn what
the word means...

:)

-Jon

--