translation questions (part 2)

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Fri May 16 13:47:46 CDT 2003

Jon Lapham <lapham at extracta.com.br> writes:

> #: src/business/business-gnome/glade/order.glade.h:10
> msgid "Order"
>
> Now, in this specific example I think it is clearly the "pedido"
> definition... but in general...?

You can ignore this -- Order's aren't fully implemented and aren't
in the UI.

> 4) What is meant by this?  What is the "Card"?
> #: src/business/business-gnome/glade/invoice.glade.h:4
> msgid "Additional to Card:"

It refers to a Charge Card or Credit Card.

> 5) Is "proximo" a real word in English?
> #: src/business/business-gnome/glade/billterms.glade.h:25
> #: src/business/business-gnome/dialog-billterms.c:481
> msgid "Proximo"

Yes, this is a real word in English.  It's actually from the Latin:

prox.i.mo \'pra:k-s*-.mo-\ aj [L proximo mense in the next month] : of or
   occurring in the next month after the present

> 6) What is a Chargeback Project?
> #: src/business/business-gnome/glade/invoice.glade.h:19
> msgid "Default Chargeback Project"

The chargeback project is the Customer/Job to which you are charging
for purchased goods.  For example I take a business trip and want to
charge the costs of that trip to a particular customer.  That's called
"Chargeback".  The customer (or job) is the particular chargeback
project.

Is that sufficiently clear?

> One other question I forgot to add to my original message.  What does
> it mean to "post" (and "unpost") something?  Specifically, what is the
> difference between "unposting" an invoice, and simply deleting the
> invoice?

Basically "post" is an accounting term that means "put it into the
books".  By "posting" an invoice you are applying the invoice to the
Chart of Accounts (i.e., you are creating the the Transaction(s) for
the invoice).  Un-posting is the reverse (you remove the
Transaction(s) from the CoA).

> #: src/business/business-core/gncInvoice.c:903
> msgid "Generated from an invoice.  Try unposting the invoice."
>
> Here are the other texts which have post in them:
>
> #: src/business/business-core/gncInvoice.c:1329
> msgid " (posted)"
>
> #: src/business/business-gnome/glade/payment.glade.h:7
> msgid "Post To"

This is the account into which you are posting the invoice.  It's an
Accounts Receivable account-type for customer invoices, and it's an
Accounts Payable account-type for vendor bills and employee expense
vouchers.

> #: src/business/business-gnome/glade/billterms.glade.h:35
> msgid ""
> "The number of days after the post date during which a discount will be "
> "applied for early payment."
>
> Sometimes I think "post" has some special financial meaning, and
> sometimes I think it simply means "to enter in to gnucash".

You are correct with the former and slightly incorrect with the
latter.  "post" does have a specific financial meaning.  For example,
the date that a check is "posted" to an account.  Similarly, when an
Invoice is "posted" to an account..  It's not necessarily the date
that the data was entered into the system, but rather it's the date
that the financial transaction took place.

> If the word post does have some special meaning, I think it should be
> added to the gnc-glossary.txt file.  Which, I will do once I learn
> what the word means...

Certainly.  No objection from me.