GnuCash GNOME 2 Port

TomF TomF at sjpc.org
Thu May 15 00:36:52 CDT 2003

On Thu, 15 May 2003 02:09:14 +0200
Jan Arne Petersen <jpetersen at uni-bonn.de> wrote:

> Hi Tom,
>
> Thanks for your effort to port GnuCash to GNOME 2.
>
> I would be very happy, if i could support the porting team. I've
> already ported some small applications to GNOME 2 and have also done
> some GNOME2 porgramming (like the new nautilus 2.2 preferences
> dialog).
>
> I've read your post some days ago in the gnucash-devel list and
> started to port some files today (see attached diff).
>
> Regards
> 	Jan Arne Petersen

Jan,

Welcome!

You are the second person on the Gnome 2 porting team.  I am the first,
and Derek is our mentor.  Derek said he wouldn't have time to work on
the port until June.

I was a complete novice when I started the project in February.  I had
to learn what a widget is.  I am almost up to speed now, and hope to be
completely up to speed by the end of May.

To make sure we are starting from the same base, please let me know if
you checked out the Gnome2 branch (-r gnucash-gnome2-dev), and did a
"cvs up" after 5/12/03 19:37 pdt, which is the last time changes were
committed.

I took a quick look at your diff file, and found several points that
need to be discussed:

a.  Derek and I decided to base the Gnome2 port on the level of Gnome in
Redhat 8.0:  2.0.  I plan to make it work on 2.2 also, but there should
be no dependencies on 2.2.

b.  You and I picked some of the same modules to modify, the one with
the most conflicts being src/gnome-utils/druid-utils.c.  Let's start a
thread on gnucash-devel, titled "gnome2 druid-utils.c",  to discuss how
our changes should be merged.

I'll look at the diff file more closely tomorrow.

Tom