GnuCash on Alpha

Linas Vepstas linas at linas.org
Sun May 18 17:48:22 CDT 2003

On Mon, May 19, 2003 at 12:56:57AM +0930, Dan Shearer was heard to remark:
> G'day Linas,
>
> I'm trying to get Gnucash going on Alpha/Linux, its the only machine
> available for our home finances (how common is _that_ one?:) and I
> really want to give Gnucash a burl.
>
> I've submitted 5 bug reports (you've seen one) and now I've hit another
> snag and I'd like a little review before I submit a bug. I may just be
> too tired to see the obvious.

Hi,

Its best to carry on this conversation at gnucash-devel at gnucash.org

> At backend/file/io-gncbin-r.c:831 there is this:
>
>    acc = (Account *) g_hash_table_lookup(ids_to_finished_accounts,
>                                             (gconstpointer) acc_id);
>
> gcc 3.2 stops because it can't cast between gconstpointer (which glibc
> typedefs as a void pointer, 64 bits on the Alpha) and acc_id which is
> an int, or 32 bits.

Hmm, that's weird.  I don't understand why gcc can't promote a 32-bit to
a 64 bit.  What's the actual error message?  Are there any error
messages that lead up to this?

Does it work if you cast to a long first, and then the pointer?

> My question: how can this work on i386, where a pointer is 32 bits and
> an int is 16 bits? I don't have a machine to test on but this is how
> it seems to me.

ints are 32-bit w/ gcc on x86.

> In which case there is more than a bit of 64-bitness hacking to do.

Well, older versions ran on 64 bit machines before, so I'm not sure
what's going on ...

--linas