GNOME 2 port patches [10]

Linas Vepstas linas at linas.org
Tue May 27 19:05:37 CDT 2003

On Wed, May 28, 2003 at 12:53:11AM +0200, Jan Arne Petersen was heard to remark:
> On Tue, 27 May 2003 17:25:57 -0500, linas at linas.org (Linas Vepstas)
> wrote:
>
> Hi Linas,

> > Uhh, I thought libegg was all the stuff in gnome that is explicitly
> > unstable,  and is gaurenteed to change before it becomes a part of
> > official gnome.  Or that is my understanding.  Are we adding a
> > dependency on libegg? Or are we merely copying code from there?
>
> We are only copying code from there.
>
> The problem is, that there is no better code avaiable if you want to do
> advanced menu stuff (like merging unmerging menus).

OK.

> I don't believe that the code is 'really' unstable because it is already
> used in some other applications (like epiphany) and i never noticed any
> problems with this applications (related to that code). Maybe it isn't

By 'unstable' I didn;t mean 'crashes', I really meant 'will change
in the future'.  Since people already complain about how hard it is to
build gnucash ...

> 'really' stable but it is at last more stable than any code which we could
> create to do the same tasks if we don't want to use libegg.

OK, copying in is OK.   FWIW, the policy that we used to have was that
we would copy stuff to the /lib directory, instead of /src, so if you
wanted to, you could put *all* of libegg into /lib.

I don't know where you put that code, but if you didn't put it in /lib,
then please think about moving it there.

--linas