[Fwd: Patch for Finance::Quote::Yahoo::Base.pm]

Linas Vepstas linas at linas.org
Fri Nov 7 16:52:41 CST 2003

On Thu, Nov 06, 2003 at 04:37:32PM -0600, Dirk Eddelbuettel was heard to remark:
> bug reports.  And I have to say that Dj was always
> cordial ...

Yeah, no complaints, there.  Although now I'm reminded of another guy on
another list, a maintainer acutally, who complained that I use too many
exclamation marks in my emails !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

> Right. The scope was also different.

yeah, a one-size-fits-all API is tricky.  Rob Browning & I had a huge
discussion about what time stamps should be associated with price data,
since I think yahoo didn't use UTC time, and it wasn't clear what the
timezone was (?) And even if yahoo was clean, some of teh other sources
were not.  I forget... 'Details' like this bite you when you deal with
multiple sources.

(Uhh, is the time stamp on the yahoo data unambiguous??)

> Apologies to Paul F: I was under the impression F::Q was dead, but I see
> that there was a July 2003 release. Good news.

Sometimes, slowly-changing packages is a *good* sign.   On the other
hand, if you could think of some way of bringing F:YQ and F::Q closer
together that would be great....

--linas