GNC v1.8.8 documentation

Jon Lapham lapham at extracta.com.br
Sun Nov 16 18:58:25 CST 2003

Chris Lyttle wrote:
> Christian
>
> Sorry for my ignorance of translation related stuff here, but my
> impression was that the help index file that Jon wants changed isn't
> used by anything other than the help browser in GnuCash and with that
> bit is only used to display help topics. If what he is adding is making
> a change to something only the docs would use and its not used unless
> there is already an equivalent doc in the language to be translated
> would this not mean that the translation work to do this isn't that
> great? AFAIK there is only a english version of the guide, so in theory
> this string change doesn't even require a translation. Am I wrong here?

Chris, I think you both are right.  Christain is correct, the
help-topics-index.scm file *does* technically create new strings for
translators to translate... and you are correct in that these strings
are limited to the help browser.  It is perfectly fine and reasonable
for the translators to not translate them, since the help files are only
available in english anyway.  A similar situation to the HBCI strings
for non-german languages.

Which is why the postats.pl translation statistics script I wrote skips
both the help-topic-index.scm and HBCI strings when calculating the
"doneness" level of a translation.

In fact, now that I think about it, in a way it is worse if the
translators translate the help-topics-index strings (assuming they do
not also translate all the help files) because then they have to deal
with the help files in a mixed language.

--
  Jon Lapham  <lapham at extracta.com.br>          Rio de Janeiro, Brasil