Translation problems

Eneko Lacunza listas at enlar.net
Sun Oct 19 23:36:03 CDT 2003

Hi,

El dom, 19 de 10 de 2003 a las 21:26, Derek Atkins escribió:
> Nikos Charonitakis <frolix68 at yahoo.gr> writes:
> > I dont know. Maybe using discrete strings for every message instead of
> > using variables.
> But we ARE using discrete strings.  We've got a button that says "New".
> That's certainly discrete.  Similarly for "none"; it's a label unto
> itself.  So I dont see how we could use discrete strings here.

	I'm not a gettext guru but I think that this is a limitation of
gettext:

http://www.gnu.org/manual/gettext/html_mono/gettext.html#SEC153

	Look at section end. The proposal is:

- Compose larger string/modify slightly. This doesn't seem applicable or
is, at least, obscure.

- Use of different domains. I think this is not appropiate.

	So I think we have a problem here.

> Yes, there are some places where we build a string from pieces, but not
> many.

	I think that we should detect conflicting results and fix at least
these in the short term.

Regards