Release of GnuCash Docs version 1.8.3

Jon Lapham lapham at extracta.com.br
Mon Sep 1 14:20:24 CDT 2003

romildo at uber.com.br wrote:
> Are the GNUCash docs available in printable
> form (something like PDF, PS or DVI format)
> somewhere?

Not yet... but soon.  I am planning on making a PDF of the docs
hopefully in the next few days.  One problem is that many of the
graphical images are wider than a printed page, so the PDF files look
really bad.  Also, we are using transparent PNG images, which do not
work well when converted to PDF.  I am right now redoing the images so
they fit nicely on a page and removing the transparency.  Once I have
the PDF file, I'll activate the PDF link on the GnuCash documentation
web page:

http://www.gnucash.org/docs/

> If not, how can I get them from the
> distribution? I have tried 'make dvi',
> 'make ps' and 'make pdf' without
> success.

If you really want to do this yourself, what I found worked best is to
install a program called "xmlto".  I do not remember the details, but it
was trivial to generate a PDF directly from the raw xml files.

If I remember correctly, once xmlto is installed you just run:

xmlto pdf gnucash-guide.xml

(or gnucash-help.xml)

...and then a while later you will get a shiney new pdf file.

--
  Jon Lapham  <lapham at extracta.com.br>          Rio de Janeiro, Brasil