Commitment to gnome2 port

Jon Lapham lapham at extracta.com.br
Thu Sep 4 14:30:06 CDT 2003

Tony Watts wrote:
> P.S. Why did you look at just the last paragraph? That was the only
> bit that addressed that specific problem.

Oops, sorry about that.  Sometimes I get snip happy in my replies!  :)

The missing 2 paragraphs are quoted below, I didn't include them because
I wasn't trying to start a discussion about the details... but here
goes.  I don't see where you discuss whether GnuCash should commit to
the next major release being gnome2...

> I am trying to get involved in the gnome2 port.

Awesome.

> I think it should be
> part of the v2 release (be nice with the numbering too).

It seems that there is concensus on this already.  If the next major
release does not include the gnome2 port, it will probably be called the
1.10 release.  If it does include the gnome 2 port, it will probably be
v2.  So, your suggestion on the numbering is right on the mark with what
will probably happen (ie: the gnome2 port will be given the release
version numbering 2).

Of course, this doesn't deal with whether the next release should
include the gnome2 port or not.  But, I'll bet that is what you meant.
Right?

 > Legacy support would probably be good to.

Okay, sure.

> Am I right in thinking that most of the development that goes on is
> on the backend and that the interface doesnt change at a very rapid
> rate.

I don't know.  But, I do know that verious people have mentioned that a
lot of the code for GnuCash is involved in the UI.  Yeah, that doesn't
tell you if the code changes much... but, whatever.

Anyway, thanks for the comments Tony.
-Jon

--
  Jon Lapham  <lapham at extracta.com.br>          Rio de Janeiro, Brasil