Commitment to gnome2 port

Tony Watts tjawatts at totalise.co.uk
Thu Sep 4 22:56:50 CDT 2003

Jon Lapham wrote:

> Of course, this doesn't deal with whether the next release should
> include the gnome2 port or not.  But, I'll bet that is what you meant.
> Right?

Yeah that is what I meant, my post wasnt so clear.

>> Am I right in thinking that most of the development that goes on is
>> on the backend and that the interface doesnt change at a very rapid
>> rate.
>

> I don't know.  But, I do know that verious people have mentioned that a
> lot of the code for GnuCash is involved in the UI.  Yeah, that doesn't
> tell you if the code changes much... but, whatever.

The only reason I got that impression was I thought their was a build
flag to build it without the interface.   (--disable-gui
   build without the GNOME GUI components of Gnucash).

So a lot of the code for the storage and calculations etc are mixed up
with gui code? Or is that code simple enough and all the problems are
with displaying the information?

I didnt know it would be hard to support gtk1 and gtk2 but I am newish
to gnome development.

Looking forward to that list of tasks David and if anything (even if it
is boring, mundane stuff) springs to mind let me know.

Best wishes

Tony