Commitment to gnome2 port

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Sep 4 16:36:53 CDT 2003

Jon Lapham <lapham at extracta.com.br> writes:

> Never doubted this for a second.  I'm just suggesting that a
> commitment to the next release being 1.10 or 2.0 will help organize
> the GnuCash community.  Focus us.

As always, it's a tradeoff.  Engine and backend work can be done on
HEAD and easily merged into g2.  UI work should proceed on g2..  I
hope we can get the g2 port "working" quickly and then merge over.
However, many projects are gnome-2 agnostic and THOSE, IMHO should be
done on the HEAD branch.

The only exception at this point really is Lots and Period support,
because frankly those are vital and need to be part of the
contingency.

I'll note that MOST of the lot/period/sql support is UI-agnostic.
Reports are UI-agnostic, too.  Anything UI-agnostic can (and IMHO
should) still be done on HEAD.

Basically, I do not WANT to have a 1.10 release.  I want the next
release to be 2.0.  Is that what you want to hear?  I consider 1.10
a "failsafe contingency plan."

> > But there are other
> > issues involved in the release cycle to be considered.  If I knew the
> > g2 port would be finished in another 2 months then I'd agree with you
> > that we should drop everything -- but I don't see that being the case,
> > so I'm trying to be pragmatic and leave our options open for a "major"
> > release between 1.8 and 2.0 in order to get features to our users.
>
> Right, and this *is* the pragmatic position to take.  Who could argue
> otherwise.  However, I believe that us leaving the issue open is cause
> for some people to not know what if the most efficient way to
> contribute.

True...  The way I would say it is that new UI (glade/etc.) should be
g2, but anything non-UI (reports/engine/backend) should be HEAD...