UTF

Reinke Bonte reinke.bonte at web.de
Fri Sep 5 11:16:43 CDT 2003

I am running gnucash from a UTF-8 locale since quite a while, it is
possible, if you know how:

1.) you have to change the encoding of your account files by doing this
strange procedure (if I remember correctly) because encoding of the xml
file is completely broken:
recode XML..LATIN1 accounts
recode previous_encoding..UTF8 accounts
recode LATIN1..XML accounts

2.) Then you have to force the font in the register window to use a
unicode charset (iso10646-1). I don't remember, but I think I have
put it by hand into the config-1.8.auto, because the preference window
wouldn't let me set the charset. And the default value is set to
Helvetica, which on my system doesn't even have a unicode charset.

The above steps are necessary whenever you change your locale settings
(the LANG environment variable).

I had tried to fix the xml problem which I thought was easy to fix, but
failed to make libxml1 work correctly. And I couldn't make gnucash run
with libxml2 because of my limited knowledge of C.

The above problems will probably go away with the gnome2 port, but we
could maybe add the above steps to documentation. If you tell me where I
shall put it, I would send you a patch to the documentation. It might
take a week or so, though.

Reinke