UTF

Jon Lapham lapham at extracta.com.br
Fri Sep 5 11:06:18 CDT 2003

Reinke Bonte wrote:
> I am running gnucash from a UTF-8 locale since quite a while, it is
> possible, if you know how:
>
> 1.) you have to change the encoding of your account files by doing this
> strange procedure (if I remember correctly) because encoding of the xml
> file is completely broken:
> recode XML..LATIN1 accounts
> recode previous_encoding..UTF8 accounts
> recode LATIN1..XML accounts

Can you give me the commands you run to do all this?

> 2.) Then you have to force the font in the register window to use a
> unicode charset (iso10646-1). I don't remember, but I think I have
> put it by hand into the config-1.8.auto, because the preference window
> wouldn't let me set the charset. And the default value is set to
> Helvetica, which on my system doesn't even have a unicode charset.

How do you do this?

> The above steps are necessary whenever you change your locale settings
> (the LANG environment variable).

Well, this is not true.  Maybe you mean when you change between UTF-8
and non UTF-8 locale?

> I had tried to fix the xml problem which I thought was easy to fix, but
> failed to make libxml1 work correctly. And I couldn't make gnucash run
> with libxml2 because of my limited knowledge of C.

okay

> The above problems will probably go away with the gnome2 port, but we
> could maybe add the above steps to documentation. If you tell me where I
> shall put it, I would send you a patch to the documentation. It might
> take a week or so, though.

Yes, gnome2 will fix this.

Reinke-

Can you give me some more information on exactly what problem you were
seeing originally, and exactly what you did to fix the problem?

Thanks, Jon

--
 Jon Lapham  <lapham at extracta.com.br>          Rio de Janeiro, Brasil