Progress toward Budget module

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Aug 2 23:07:48 EDT 2004

Chris Shoemaker <c.shoemaker at cox.net> writes:

> On Mon, Aug 02, 2004 at 09:36:27AM -0400, Darin Willits wrote:
>> Chris, et al.
>>
>> I have attached the updated budgeting patch.  It has been modified to
>> use the new QOF object structure and fix some naming conventions that
>> Derek mentioned on the last patch.
>
> Thank you kindly.  I know what it's like never having enough time to do
> the things you enjoy.
>
> Regarding the patch, I think your attachment may have been mangled by
> your mailer.  (either that, or I don't know how to use mutt :)
>
> My MUA sees your mail as a very large plain/text portion (most of which
> is illegible) and two very small (essentially empty) attachments, one gzip
> and one uuencoded.
>
> Can anyone else read it?

Indeed, the attachments appear empty...

> BTW, is there any precedent for patches like this to be placed in some
> sort of "patches in progress" area of CVS?  That way, they can be
> versioned, easily retrieved, revised, and tested, with no impact on the
> rest of the tree.

Nope.  The patches are either "good enough" to get committed to CVS,
or they are not.  There's no in-between.

The two main conditions to get committed are:
1) The architecture needs to be "clean" and fit with the rest of the code, and
2) The resultant (patched) tree needs to compile and run.

Note that non-finished features are welcome (provided there is some
hope that they WILL be finished "soon"), although it's "better" if
the feature is finished before it's submitted.  YMMV.