gnome2 graphing status

Jody Goldberg jody at gnome.org
Mon Aug 16 10:26:18 EDT 2004

On Mon, Aug 16, 2004 at 09:08:56AM -0500, Linas Vepstas wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 13, 2004 at 11:30:35AM +0200, Christian Stimming was heard to remark:
> > >So, I've been looking into the gnome-office-graphing [GOG] stuff, and
> > >noticed that it doesn't have a feature of guppi we were using, which is
> > >the ability to bind the graphical region associated with a data-series
> > >element to an action ... in the case of gnucash ... with the appropriate
> > >register being opened in response to a bar-section or pie-wedge being
> > >clicked on.
> >
> > I'd say we just have to bite the bullet and admit that we have to drop
> > the interactivity feature. Just to have "something" so that
> > gnucash-gnome2 eventually got the graphing features up and running.
>
> I agree. But do just stub out the register id code; it shouldn't be
> too hard to add the click-identification to GOG (its just a bunch of
> intersections).

I discussed this with jsled last week.  We'll definitely improve
support for interactivity.  There is currently a 2nd generation stub
that has been implemented for pie plots, but we're not hugely
pleased with it.  My current thinking is to support a GuppiToolset
type api.  That will provide plenty of power for the plot types
(things like pie, XY, line etc are all plugins).  I don't have a
clear idea of how to map that up to the application, and frankly I
don't want to think about that yet.  My short term goal is to finish
splitting libgoffice out of gnumeric before the targetted release of
Sept 15.  Once that is done I'd like to see someone (gnucash ?)
start working on using it.  That will give us plenty of work to do
ironing out the kinks as a the first external users.  When that
settles down, we should be in a good position to add the necessary
extensions.

How does that sound ?