Email Invoices

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Aug 16 17:57:34 EDT 2004

linas at linas.org (Linas Vepstas) writes:

>> IMHO the hard part is generating the MIME message and including the
>> PDF (or HTML) of the invoice.
>
> Yes, well, that, and also asking the user what subject line to use,
> and asking them if they want to compose a cover letter to explain the
> attachment, and helping them choose the list of email addreesses out
> of thier address-book, and then remembering those addresses so that
> we can re-use them next time ...

The subject line can be hard-coded into a preference.  The cover
letter, IMHO, can again be a short text as a preference..  "Here is
your invoice from <business name> as of <invoice date>".  The email
address is already stored in the customer information.

So, honestly, no, this isn't that hard.

> Yes, hacking in crappy email support is not hard, but 'doing it right'
> is a lot more work.

No it's not..  We just talk SMTP to the local transport.  We can do
this by calling an external program (ala sendmail) to do it.  I don't
care diddly about integrating with MUAs.  Gnucash can be an MUA whose
only function is "can send email".  That's pretty darn easy.

As I said before, the hard part is building the MIME message.  I don't
know of a toolkit that can do that for us easily..  But I suppose we
could just be stupid about it.