Email Invoices

Doctorcam cam at ellisonpsychology.ca
Mon Aug 16 14:11:34 EDT 2004

* Linas Vepstas (linas at linas.org) wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 16, 2004 at 11:15:02AM -0400, Derek Atkins was heard to remark:
> > linas at linas.org (Linas Vepstas) writes:
> >
> > > I did look into what it takes to have gnucash be able
> > > to email out invoices, but there is not yet any
> > > easy/simple/painless way to add this feature to gnucash yet.  This
> > > has been discussed in the desktop-devel (gnome/kde) mailing lists.
> >
> > Well, we can just assume "/usr/lib/sendmail -bt" is available and
> > feed it the outgoing email.  ;)
> >
> > Better yet, make that a configuration parameter...
> >
> > IMHO the hard part is generating the MIME message and including the
> > PDF (or HTML) of the invoice.
>
> Yes, well, that, and also asking the user what subject line to use,
> and asking them if they want to compose a cover letter to explain the
> attachment, and helping them choose the list of email addreesses out
> of thier address-book, and then remembering those addresses so that
> we can re-use them next time ...
>
> Yes, hacking in crappy email support is not hard, but 'doing it right'
> is a lot more work.

I'd think that having more flexibility with respect to designing
invoices would stand ahead of being able to email them.  The current
design seems good for certain kinds of businesses (i.e. those that
deal in physical objects), but definitely does not work for a
consulting practice.  And no, I don't have time to learn Scheme and
roll my own, and I'm not complaining.

Cheers

Cam

--