Quiet import

Neil Williams linux at codehelp.co.uk
Fri Dec 10 13:58:09 EST 2004

On Friday 10 December 2004 4:32 pm, David Bottomley wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to import QIF files quietly and without user intervention (cron)

Honest? Are you really that confident of the incoming data?

> -- don't care about matching, dupes, etc...
> Does this already exist, or would I have to develop it?

It might not work for QIF but it may work for the new QSF that should be ready
in the new year. QSF is an XML format. Once it's ready, I may investigate a
program to convert QIF into QSF.

http://code.neil.williamsleesmill.me.uk/

> If I had to develop, it looks like I have to learn Guile, right?

No, C. You'd basically write a personal console application in C that used the
QSF and qof_book_merge code and used the API to set each collision with a
known result - that way the user intervention is provided without a dialog or
interruption. You would have the opportunity to assign different results if
you need to. However, there is no guarantee that the merge would consider the
data the same way as you - it could well flag something for user intervention
that you would consider new. THAT is why user intervention is so central to
all the GnuCash import mechanisms - existing and future.

--

Neil Williams