Quiet import

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Fri Dec 10 14:00:59 EST 2004

David Bottomley <david at appliedCRM.com> writes:

> Derek,
>
>>> I'd like to import QIF files quietly and without user intervention
> (cron).
>
>> It does not exist, you would have to develop it, but it would be
>> really challenging -- what do you do about transaction account
>> matching to map the qif names to gnucash accounts?
>
> How about dumping them to an exception file.
> Would this still be difficult?

Define "difficult"?  It's all a "simple matter of programming",
however the structure of the importer is such that doing this would
definitely be challenging.  You'd effectively have to write a
completely new front-end to handle "problematic" transactions.

> I hate ambiguities.

So does the qif importer.  But tell me, what's the actual date of a
transaction labeled:

D04/01/02

> If you are looking to unload the task, I'm happy to look at your code with a
> view to implementing as per above (exception dump).
> How big is the task?

Probably fairly big.  The new qif importer C code is in HEAD and G2,
but it's not finished.  There's also the new UI code (which isn't
finished, either) which exists only in the g2 branch.  You're welcome
to look at the importer itself (src/import-export/qif/*).