libgnomecanvas backed gnc_item_edit vs. GtkEntry

Chris Shoemaker c.shoemaker at cox.net
Thu Dec 23 10:21:59 EST 2004

I noticed that the g2 branch fails to indicate cursor position when
typing in an account entry.  I also read the note about this in
GNOME2_STATUS.  Looking at gnucash-item-edit.{ch}, or really
src/register/register-gnome/* for that matter, I see that GncItemEdit
(among other similar things) is backed by GnomeCanvasItem.  Obviously,
this works.  But it seems pointlessly complex.

I have no idea why the cursor doesn't show, but if GncItemEdit were
backed by GtkEntry instead, I bet it would Just Work.  I know GtkEntry
used to be pretty simple, so maybe that's why we needed to roll our
own from a canvas?  But maybe GtkEntry in gtk+ v2 fits the bill.

I'm still trying to understand the character of the G2 port, too.  I
get the "fix bugs" goal (e.g. cursor won't show), but would making
GncItemEdit backed by GtkEntry be in accord with the goals of the g2
port?  I'm kinda walking in blind here, so someone let me know if I'm
missing something.

-chris