saving budgets

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Fri Dec 24 18:17:49 EST 2004

Chris Shoemaker <c.shoemaker at cox.net> writes:

> The current budget design seems to assume that created budgets will
> live with the accounts.  (There's no mechanism for saving or
> retrieving budgets from files.)  This makes sense since a budget seems
> pretty strictly dependent on the account heirarchy.
>
> So, if no one else is working on it, I'm considering trying to store
> the budget in the same place that the accounts are stored.  (I haven't
> looked into the details, yet.)  Any comments?

You should add a new XML data type into src/backend/file/ and hook the
budget objects and save them in the book.  Don't worry about QOF or
QSF, that's long-enough away that we shouldn't depend on it, and even
when it comes Gnucash is not going to use it internally, only as an
import/export format, not the main data format.

Just create the necessary GnuCash XML for the budget objects.  I was
hoping that Darin would finish that, but he's been busy.