saving budgets

Chris Shoemaker c.shoemaker at cox.net
Mon Dec 27 07:44:23 EST 2004

On Fri, Dec 24, 2004 at 06:17:49PM -0500, Derek Atkins wrote:
> Chris Shoemaker <c.shoemaker at cox.net> writes:
>
> > The current budget design seems to assume that created budgets will
> > live with the accounts.  (There's no mechanism for saving or
> > retrieving budgets from files.)  This makes sense since a budget seems
> > pretty strictly dependent on the account heirarchy.
> >
> > So, if no one else is working on it, I'm considering trying to store
> > the budget in the same place that the accounts are stored.  (I haven't
> > looked into the details, yet.)  Any comments?
>
> You should add a new XML data type into src/backend/file/ and hook the
> budget objects and save them in the book.  Don't worry about QOF or
> QSF, that's long-enough away that we shouldn't depend on it, and even
> when it comes Gnucash is not going to use it internally, only as an
> import/export format, not the main data format.
>
> Just create the necessary GnuCash XML for the budget objects.  I was
> hoping that Darin would finish that, but he's been busy.

Thanks for clarifying, Derek.  Here's a brief status: I think I've
achieved persistence of at least part of the budget -- basically, all
but the inflow and outflow budgetCategories.  So far, a budget looks
like:

<gnc:budget version="2.0.0">
  <bgt:name>qaaaaa</bgt:name>
  <bgt:description>wwwwww</bgt:description>
  <bgt:start-date>
    <gdate>2004-12-27</gdate>
  </bgt:start-date>
  <bgt:period-frequency>
    <gnc:freqspec version="1.0.0">
      <fs:id type="guid">2d442362a9890d7c25f76e7f4c301aa6</fs:id>
      <fs:ui_type>monthly</fs:ui_type>
      <fs:monthly>
        <fs:interval>1</fs:interval>
        <fs:offset>0</fs:offset>
        <fs:day>27</fs:day>
      </fs:monthly>
    </gnc:freqspec>
  </bgt:period-frequency>
  <bgt:length-months>12</bgt:length-months>
</gnc:budget>

-chris