libgnomecanvas backed gnc_item_edit vs. GtkEntry

Stephen Evanchik evanchsa at clarkson.edu
Sun Dec 26 12:16:57 EST 2004

On Fri, 2004-12-24 at 07:00 -0500, Chris Shoemaker wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 23, 2004 at 06:16:50PM -0500, Josh Sled wrote:
> >
> > I believe the current desires are best captured by: "get thing working
> > under gnome2 first, then later get things working right."
>
> Ok, is there a list of MUSTFIXes for a g2 release?  I checked the
> bugzilla: not much about g2.  And GNOME2_STATUS mostly says where g2
> is at now, but says little about where it has to get to.  Is there an
> archived email I didn't find?

No, I've been using the G2 port now and just making notes here locally
for stuff that is not working. I made a list of deprecated symbols:

http://people.clarkson.edu/~evanchsa/DEPRECATED_SYMBOLS_LIST

that I've been working from lately. It's not perfect, GtkCombo shouldn't
be changed to GtkComboBox for instance, but you can see that a lot of
the changes required have to do with GtkCList.

> GNOME2_STATUS mentions quite a handful of register-related minor bugs.
> I can infer that these need to be fixed before release.  (or do they?)
> It seems that you (Josh), and David are both thinking along the same
> lines regarding improving the register.  But, both of you are thinking
> about the "restructuring" coming after the g2 release.  Does that mean
> you think these bugs will be fixed soon with only minor changes?  or
> do you think g2 will be released with these bugs and then fixed by the
> "restructuring" after the release?

For whatever my opinion is worth, I was working with the intent that the
first release would be a straight port to GTK+2 while the next release
would begin to take advantage of GTK+2 features.

I'd like to start reworking the code so that it is easy to maintain; one
idea is to removed all of the custom widgets made unnecessary by GTK+2.

Stephen