[Libofx-devel] Re: python script for OFX Statement Download

cb cb at wasteland.org
Tue Feb 10 21:40:54 CST 2004

On Tue, 2004-02-03 at 12:45 -0500, John Reynolds wrote:
> Steve & all interested parties,
>
> Thanks for this script, I believe it will prove useful to many.
>
> This ties into a project/feature that many want, but no one has taken up
> as the lead contact for. In "The State of the GnuCash Project", item
> 2.1.2.4 is "Implement GnuCash as a helper to a Web Browser" and the
> discription outlines the idea of using GC to download OFX/QIF files from
> websites into GC.
>
> It seems that this work, with that of Benoit's LibOFX and a couple others
> who have sent in similar things, could result in this feature being
> available in GC. What we need now is a team that will volunteer to work
> on this and for one of them to act as the project contact.
>
> Any takers on the project contact position? and volunteers?
>
> Please respond to the list, and I will be recording names, email, ICQ
> name, and skills (as outlined in the Introduction of "State of GC...").
>
> Thanks,
>
> John R.
     I'd like to help but my time is limited during the weekdays.
Speaking of that, last weekend in an hour or so I added support for
checking/debit/savings type accounts to ofx.py- i named this one ofx-ba.
py just to differentiate.  it's a hack.. i've never even looked at
python before so I just followed the framework Steve had written for
credit card statements retrieval.  I found that my credit union's OFX
server software is quite picky but at least verbose with error
messages ;)

so my hack on Steve's work is attached, it's not like I added much  more
than support for a new bank type. but since its a hack, you now have to
specify more in your site declaration:

sites = {
	"MYCreditUnion": {
                "caps": [ "SIGNON", "BASTMT" ],
		"fid": "31337",
		"fiorg": "MyCreditUnion",
		"url": "https://ofx.mycreditunion.org",
		"bankid": "21325412453",
		}
	}

BASTMT is for debit/checking/credit, just like CCSTMT is for CC's.
but for BASTMT, you need to define bankid which is your bank's routing
number.

And, beyond that you have to specifiy- IN CAPS!- the type of account it
is.  for me, using the site declaration above i'd do this:

ofx-ba.py MYCreditUnion user account CHECKING

user and account are just like they were previously, but for BASTMT
types you need to specifiy in your locale what kind of account it is.
Stupid, i know, but the <ACCTTYPE> needs to be derived from somewhere
and I didn't know where to put it since site declarations seem to be
account-type ambiguous.

so, whatever.  if you want to get at checking accts this will probably
work, it did for the 3 people i've given it to so far.