GnuCash page on GO site

Herbert Thoma tma at iis.fhg.de
Thu Feb 26 15:37:43 CST 2004

Clayton Carter schrieb:

> > Personally I consider a move to an embedded-SQL engine higher priority
> > than book closing (although not necessarily as high as cap-gains).
> > Just FYI...
>
>         Can someone clarify all of this SQL backend talk?  From the
> standpoint of a home user, I'm perfectly happy with my common file
> backend and I may well stop using gnucash if it migrates to an SQL
> only backend.  Setting up an SQL server just to balance my checkbook
> fails the hassle/benefit analysis for me.

OK, Derek and Linas can tell much more about this, but may be if I
answer this, they will get more time for coding ;-)

The basic asumption is that XML files are good for data exchange
but not so good for storage. XML files are huge, slow to load and
you have handle all data in memory.

So it is better to use a database for storage. There will be two types
of databases:

- the full blown postgres SQL server for the business user
- an embedded database where the data is stored in a file on disk,
  this will probably use SQLite

You don't need to worry that you need to set up a SQL server to use
GnuCash.

 Herbert.