GnuCash page on GO site

Josh Sled jsled-gnucash at asynchronous.org
Thu Feb 26 13:53:27 CST 2004

On Thu, Feb 26, 2004 at 02:41:13PM -0500, Clayton Carter wrote:

| 	Can someone clarify all of this SQL backend talk?  From the
| standpoint of a home user, I'm perfectly happy with my common file
| backend and I may well stop using gnucash if it migrates to an SQL
| only backend.  Setting up an SQL server just to balance my checkbook
| fails the hassle/benefit analysis for me.

Certainly!  The idea is more to replace the XML file store with an
embedded-in-gnucash SQL engine; no seperate DB-server setup would be
required.  In fact, it should be transparent to the user.

At the same time, the SQL engine /could/ be interfacing with a remote DB
for the class of users who would like that.

Basically: use the SQL engine to abstract local/remote data-storage,
improving both.

>From the developer perspective, the current XML storage is a pain to
deal with.  The SQL backend would have multiple advantages...

1/ direct query support
2/ real transactional changes
3/ No seperate "save" operation [with the associated data-loss window]
   -- lower crash-effect potential.
4/ Easier path to multi-user access.

Granted, only '3' would be directly visible to users, but happier developers
generally = more/better features. :)

...jsled

--
http://www.asynchronous.org - `a=jsled; b=asynchronous.org; echo ${a}@${b}`