Feedback from Gnucash-Presentation at German LinuxTag

Christian Stimming stimming at tuhh.de
Fri Jul 2 08:04:45 EDT 2004

Just a small feedback from the German Linuxtag's presentation about
gnucash http://www.linuxtag.org/2004/talk.do?id=e047 :

There were about 200 people in the audience. The atmosphere there and on
the whole Linuxtag was very good. My presentation went very well and the
audience asked a whole lot of interested questions. After I finished the
50-minute talk, we had so many questions that I had to continue the Q&A
session outside of the hall. There seemed to be a lot of interest in our
finance software...

The slides are online as OpenOfficeOrg- and Powerpoint-File in
http://www.tu-harburg.de/~et2cs/gnc/lxtag (in German). Feel free to
re-use them or parts of it, but please quote my presentation as reference.

There were a couple of questions about the German HBCI online banking
technique. There were also other questions about the business features
which would be interesting for German business users. In particular:
- People asked about the automated Value-Added-Tax split (they ask this
all the time). I told them it would take at most 4-5 days to be
implemented, but still no-one volunteered. :-)
- Some business users asked about the possibility to have a German Tax
Office's audit of the gnucash application, so that they are allowed to
use it for German Tax declarations (I don't fully recall what this was
about). Anyway, it is clear that the gnucash developers neither have the
required money nor are willing to spend it on this audit. The questioner
himself suggested he might team up with other German business users via
the German mailing list or the Wiki in order to collect enough money for
paying this audit.

Unfortunately there were no questions about how to pay a developer, but
at least I mentioned our donation system. We'll see whether people
actually got motivated to spend either time or money on our project.

But anyway, this presentation was great fun and I'm looking forward to
do this again, if there are any opportunities around.

Christian