gdb debugging

Linas Vepstas linas at linas.org
Wed Jul 21 21:23:21 EDT 2004

On Wed, Jul 21, 2004 at 06:48:03PM -0500, Perry Smith was heard to remark:
> In my experience with dbx and IBM's xlc compiler, you have to turn off
> optimization to get anything useful from dbx.
>
> Is the same true with gdb and gcc?

tradiionally no, but it does seem to be getting worse :(

> Do I need to recompile at least
> part of gnucash without optimization?

Can't hurt, in the past, though this was un-needed.

>  I'm looking at the stack trace
> in the middle of the database save and some things look o.k. but a lot
> of things look pretty trashed out.

stack trace call arguments seem to be increasingly wacky as
the years roll by. but if you pop up the stack, you can usually view
the actual values of variables without many problems.

--linas