Null Account and more

Perry Smith pedz at easesoftware.net
Thu Jul 22 12:11:56 EDT 2004

I'm going to move this back to devel.

This is all making pretty good sense now.  The xml file agrees with the
accounts window which agrees with the data structures I'm looking at
with gdb, and I found the original transaction in both Quicken and the
qif file.  A number of questions have come up though -- and I guess a
bug somewhere.

Fidelity Ultra is a "Portfolio" in Quicken.  I have a transaction for
Interest Income (actually I have several).  I'm not sure if you guys
have used quicken but there is a transaction type like Buy, Sell,...
One of those types is "II" which is Interest Income.  There is also a
catagory which defaults to "()Int Income" where the () is actually a
black bullet.

The qif  transaction for this is:

D2/1/95
NIntInc
T58.65
^

(I'm somewhat guessing this is the whole transaction.  It must somehow
be within the Fidelity Ultra account.  I have not studied up on QIF
yet.)

When gnucash imported this, it created a sub account under "Interest"
called "Fidelity Ultra" and Fidelity Ultra has a subaccount with no
name.  I can see this in the xml as well as the Accounts window.  There
are similar accounts for other portfolio accounts and each has a
subaccount with no name.  I was confused before and was looking at the
wrong Fidelity Ultra account in both the xml as well as the Accounts
window.

  "Interest" in quicken as well as gnucash is an expense but Fidelity
Ultra is an income account and the account with no name is an income
account as well.  A sub account with a different type from the parent.
Is that allowed?

I think what I need to do first is look at and understand QIF format
first.  If you guys have some comments or suggestions, I'm open to hear
them.  After I understand QIF, I may come back with some questions as
to why gnucash is acting like it is but right now, I feel like that may
be premature.

Thanks,
Perry