automatic ex/import of data

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Jun 9 09:47:08 EDT 2004

> Hello people,
>
> I'm planing a project for one of my students. He's doing a cybercash
> frontend [1]. The idea would be to connect an accounting programm - here
> Gnucash to the cybercash frontend, so one could:
>
> 1. add transactions into gnucash as soon as some cash arrives
> 2. trigger a transaction as soon as it's done in gnucash
>
> I know that the HBCI project does something related. However are the two
> points above as they are doable with existing framework or not?
>
> That is:
>
> 1. do there exist hooks where a script or external application can be
>    called when a transaction is entered?

Maybe currently...  But this is something that SHOULD be added.
You could base this on the running events -- but those aren't available
to scripts, only to plug-in C code.

Note that you CAN implement a gnc module to do your work and plug that
in at runtime.  That might be your best bet.

> 2. is there a possiblity to call gnucash through some kind of RPC, from
>    the command line or as a daemon to add a transaction?

Not currently...

> If the previous two things are not doable from outside of Gnucash
> (through scripts or similar), how much of an effort would it be to
> add such hooks into and out of Gnucash?

They are not doable today.  #1 would be relatively easy to add, but #2
would be more difficult.