expense cash-flow report

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Jun 9 19:29:56 EDT 2004

Hi,

Larry Siden <lsiden at comcast.net> writes:

> I generated an expense cash-flow report.  However, I wanted to customize
> it so that:

I don't understand what you mean by "expense cash-flow report"...
Could you please explain what you mean?  The "cash flow" report is
showing how much money is entering/leaving a set of accounts.

> * It would not distinguish between inflows and outflows, but combine
> them.  Inflows would be positive numbers and outflows negative.

But that's what it IS doing..  Are you saying that if you have $10
going into an account and then $10 coming out that you want it to
display $0?

> * It would show expenses only.

Uhh, then you don't want a cash-flow report.  Or I'm not understanding
what you're trying to achieve.

> * One might be able to customize it in order to limit the report to
> certain expenses.

You can already do that...

> * It might be capable of averaging weekly/monthly/quarterly, etc.

This would be a good addition to the existing report.

> I looked at cash-flow.scm but realized I have too high a learning curve

Uh, go spend a day reading the scheme manual at
http://www.swiss.ai.mit.edu/ and you'll understan 90% of what you need
to do..

> if I am to get on with other projects.  However, I might be willing to
> attempt to tackle this if someone else wants to help me, preferably,
> someone who already knows Scheme and who understands the Gnucash API
> ("gnucash", "gnc-module" - whatever those are).

Those are the gnucash apis, but you can mostly ignore them.  The APIs
you need to use are already used in the existing cash-flow report.

> Anyone want to take me up on this?

Feel free to come into #gnucash and ask _specific_ questions.  But
don't expect hand-holding.