[Fwd: Re: gnucash name]

Steve Romanow slestak at cavtel.net
Tue Jun 15 10:25:53 EDT 2004

Subject: Re: gnucash name
From:    "Steve Romanow" <slestak at cavtel.net>
Date:    Tue, June 15, 2004 10:25 am
To:      "Linas Vepstas" <linas at linas.org>

> On Mon, Jun 14, 2004 at 07:23:58PM -0400, don Paolo Benvenuto was heard
to remark:
>> I was reflexiong about gnucash, which is a wonderful application, in
which all of you have put much work and much love.

>> According to me, the name "gnucash" is not something that helps
diffusion of the program, because anyone that hasn't a knowledge of
programming and unix history sees the prefix "gnu" as terribly strange.
The only think "gnu" could help thinking is in a strange animal. That
would be misleading. While "gnu" says very much to a computer student
or professional, it's very cryptic for a normal person.

>> I thing that in order to make gnucash more attractive we should change
its name and give it a simpler name. This would be a step more toward
applying the Gnome HIG criteria.

> How about gnomecash?  Makes me think of a strange green leprechaun
guarding a pot of gold.

> --linas

I can see a really good mascot, or branding coming out of that also.