QOF iteration and callbacks

Linas Vepstas linas at linas.org
Sun Jun 20 12:59:21 EDT 2004

On Sun, Jun 20, 2004 at 12:45:37PM -0400, Derek Atkins was heard to remark:
> linas at linas.org (Linas Vepstas) writes:
>
> > On Sun, Jun 20, 2004 at 12:16:20PM -0400, Derek Atkins was heard to remark:
> >>
> >> We already had qof_object_foreach_type(); why do we need a
> >> qof_class_foreach()?
> >
> > I am thinking about merging object and class into one thing.
> > Maybe.  Any remarks pro or con appreciated.
>
> What's the difference now?

Well, you're the guy who made this distinction when you wrote
the code way back when ... :)

-- object defines the relationship to the 'backend'.
-- class defines parameters.

historically, parameters could only be queried, and 'class' was used
only by the query subsystem.  The objects were used only for the
backend interaction.

> So what's your conceptual distinction between a QofObject and a
> QofClass?

I dunno.  Something that only knows about parameters vs. something that
knows about lots of other things as well.   Maybe 'class' should  be
a base-class for 'object'.  Better names for these things might help
too ...

--linas