QOF iteration and callbacks

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Sun Jun 20 14:20:17 EDT 2004

linas at linas.org (Linas Vepstas) writes:

> Well, you're the guy who made this distinction when you wrote
> the code way back when ... :)
>
> -- object defines the relationship to the 'backend'.
> -- class defines parameters.

I had no QofClass, only QofObject...  "Class" (and "Instance"
were added by you ;)

> historically, parameters could only be queried, and 'class' was used
> only by the query subsystem.  The objects were used only for the
> backend interaction.

I think this is reversed...  But I see no reason not to combine them..
Unless there is a strong reason why queriable objects and 'storable'
objects need to be (or should be) different.

>> So what's your conceptual distinction between a QofObject and a
>> QofClass?
>
> I dunno.  Something that only knows about parameters vs. something that
> knows about lots of other things as well.   Maybe 'class' should  be
> a base-class for 'object'.  Better names for these things might help
> too ...

True.  I was sort of thinking in terms of "g_object" (or gtk_object)..
Which sort of makes some basic level of sense to me..  *shrugs*