g-wrap (was Re: QOF won't link)

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Sun Jun 20 13:00:34 EDT 2004

linas at linas.org (Linas Vepstas) writes:

> On Sun, Jun 20, 2004 at 12:44:10PM -0400, Derek Atkins was heard to remark:
>>
>> > Gnome GConf seems to be the standard gnome way of soring config
>> > entries.  I don't quite like the way GConf is currently
>> > implemented, but I'm guessing that it should be pretty future-proof,
>> > and get improved eventually.
>>
>> My only concern is distributed computing.  So long as the user's gconf
>> data is stored in their home directory and not in some central gconf
>> database then I don't mind using gconf.
>
> gconf2 stores all config info in a central DB; the old/deprecated
> gconf1 stored them in files.

*sigh*  major step backwards...

> I am not sure why exactly gconf2 is centralized; but I do beleive
> its a true network daemon, so that in principle, you could get the
> gconf2 settings from other machines ... maybe.  I really don't
> understand how that's supposed to work.   Its a good question for
> one of the desktop lists.

I don't see how it CAN work.

> (once again, I wish I could have the same desktop on all of the
> various computers I work on ... but I can't, at least not easily,
> not without nfs mounts and other hacks.)

See, this is absolutely a requirement, IMHO.  If gconf2 doesn't let us
do this then, IMHO, we CANNOT use gconf2.  I consider it a
show-stopper if you tie a user's gnucash configuration to a single
machine.  I'd rather keep the existing scheme-based configuration than
lose the ability to have the same desktop on multiple machines (I
already have this feature in my environment).