donating

Thu Jun 24 02:13:24 EDT 2004

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004, Linas Vepstas wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 22, 2004 at 09:52:53AM -0500, Linas Vepstas was heard to remark:
> >
> > A prototype web page explaining how to donate to the gnucash project
> > can be reviewed at
> >
> > http://www.gnucash.org/en/donations.phtml
>
> Its now linked to the various menus and other pages.
>
> It also contains a summary of the current financial position.
> Is this a good idea? a bad idea?  Will more people donate
> if they don't know how much money we have?  Or will they
> donate when they see how open and transparent our records are?

I don't know - but it's in the spirit of "open" as in source. I think its
also useful for the general public:

1) one can either see that making (some) OSS is a hard "business" that
   is hardly being done for the money or
2) that OSS projects can be a form of survival too

depends on how much will be donated.

OTOH if the amount is high you'll get inquires about "who got the money"?

IMHO,
*t