More OpenSource accounting: KMyMoney released their version 0.6

Christian Stimming stimming at tuhh.de
Thu Jun 24 04:27:29 EDT 2004

Just seen on dot.kde.org: A KDE project named KMyMoney release a new
version of their software, http://dot.kde.org/1087562563/ (full quote
below), but I haven't tried this myself.

It seems the team "simply" tries to implement the same things as we
already have, but on a Qt/KDE/C++ basis. In fact, the only additional
feature they have and we don't is a QIF export (!). They are planning to
implement a gnucash import function (thanks to the open format), which
they already have in CVS but not in their release.

In the dot.kde discussion one developers answers the question: "Q: How
does KMyMoney compare to Gnucash? A: Well, to be honest, we are a bit
behind gnucash at this point. They already support most of the features
that we are talking about for our 0.8 release. However, from our users,
we have heard comments such as our interface is easier to use, they like
that you can export your accounts into qif files (you can't in gnucash),
and that it is lighter-weight than gnucash. We want to get up to the
level of gnucash someday, and hopefully surpass it eventually."

I think competition is surely a good thing, in OpenSource just as
anywhere else. We should be well aware of those features the KMyMoney
guys have solved differently, and especially where users like things
more in their software compared to how gnucash handles that. There's
always something to learn. On the other hand, hearing that they are
going into the very same direction as we do (and facing the same
difficulties) can be seen as a big affirmation into our way to handle
these financial concepts.

Cheers,

Christian

KMyMoney 0.6 is Released

After almost a year and a half since its last release, a double-entry
version of the KMyMoney personal finance management software for KDE is
now available. Version 0.6 supports multiple account types, including
credit cards, cash, savings, loans and mortgages.

An easy-to use GUI allows entering and viewing your financial data.
Adjustable homepage can be customized and wizards guide the user through
more complicated transactions. Transactions can be entered in an
easy-to-use checkbook type form, or edited directly in the register.
Recurring transactions can be scheduled and transactions can be split to
multiple categories and accounts. All transactions can be listed for a
given payee. We have also implemented powerful search functions to find
transactions.

While older versions saved data in a binary data format, Version 0.6
writes its data in a compressed XML format, which makes it easy to
preserve and store financial data. Also, the software supports the
import and export of QIF files, allowing users to move data to/from
external sources. Users can customize the QIF profile, to be able to
import files which may not be standard, without making any code changes.

Additional features being considered for future releases include
multiple currency support, investment account support, financial report
generation, OFX support, online stock quote updates, HBCI, and a GnuCash
import function. Please feel free to see more details on the project
web-site. Some of these functions are already available in our current
CVS repository.