More KMyMoney peeking: is our file format clearly documented?

Christian Stimming stimming at tuhh.de
Thu Jun 24 04:36:23 EDT 2004

It's almost funny to read through KMyMoney's mailing lists and see all
the different times when they think about the same concepts as we do and
they end up saying "let's have a look at the gnucash code to see how
they solved it"... :-)

The developer working on the gnucash importer had some interesting
things to note:
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=4496256&forum_id=7103
quote:

"3. Since I couldn't find any definition of the GC file structure, I've
based the code purely from what I've been able to deduce from my own
file, and a few small test files created for the purpose. "

Are we really missing a clear documentation of the structure? I thought
we had some DTDs available in src/doc/xml but they are quite old (from
2001) and they would need some additional explanation on how the XML
structure is mapped on the gnucash objects... Is there already anything
available? If yes, we should clearly mark this somewhere.

Christian