More KMyMoney peeking: is our file format clearly documented?

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Jun 24 09:18:28 EDT 2004

Christian Stimming <stimming at tuhh.de> writes:

> It's almost funny to read through KMyMoney's mailing lists and see all
> the different times when they think about the same concepts as we do
> and they end up saying "let's have a look at the gnucash code to see
> how they solved it"... :-)

*SIGH*

It would've been nice if they just decided to write a Qt frontend
to GnuCash, but I can certainly understand why they don't.

This is both a blessing and a curse.  Just think what we could've done
if we had those developer resources here to help us instead of
splitting off into another set of code that does the exact same thing?

Do they have small-business features?

> The developer working on the gnucash importer had some interesting
> things to note:
> http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=4496256&forum_id=7103
> quote:
>
> "3. Since I couldn't find any definition of the GC file structure,
> I've based the code purely from what I've been able to deduce from my
> own file, and a few small test files created for the purpose. "
>
> Are we really missing a clear documentation of the structure? I
> thought we had some DTDs available in src/doc/xml but they are quite
> old (from 2001) and they would need some additional explanation on how
> the XML structure is mapped on the gnucash objects... Is there already
> anything available? If yes, we should clearly mark this somewhere.

Nope, we don't have current DTDs for our XML data.  It would be nice
if we did, but there had been little reason to create them as the xml
code isn't dtd-driven.  HAD the xml code been DTD-driven it would've
been nice....