donating

Linas Vepstas linas at linas.org
Thu Jun 24 10:18:25 EDT 2004

On Thu, Jun 24, 2004 at 09:13:01AM -0400, Derek Atkins was heard to remark:
> > OTOH if the amount is high you'll get inquires about "who got the money"?
> Right now we've got about $500.  That would be enough to:

I'd like to wait a few more months, and then hand out equal shares
to the pool of active/recently active writers & developers, and
possibly some translators (I don't know how to gauge translation
effort; I beleive translating the docs would be hard work, but no
ones done that yet).  I'm not sure, I think that list might have 10
or 12 names on it.

If more money rolls in, then maybe there could be some token amounts
for hardware & network costs, but I don't want to encourage hardware/
server competition.  I own more effing servers that I know what to do
with.  The hard part is running the machines, not buying the hardware.
For example, search is still/again broken.

> Or we can just keep it for now and wait and use it later.

I'd like to avoid large sums accumulating in a paypal account,
because of all the stories of paypal thefts.  That money could
just go 'poof' and that would be bad.

--linas