Report Writing Tips

Peter Long gnucash at petelong.com
Mon Jun 28 20:09:45 EDT 2004

Hi,

Derek Atkins wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Peter Long <gnucash at petelong.com> writes:
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>I have been using GnuCash for almost a year now. I would like to make a few
>>small changes to some of the reports and possibly add a report or two. For
>>example I would like a report the shows how the Unrealised Gains/Losses item
>>are calculated.
>>

>You mean a report that lists the gain/loss transactions?  I'm not sure I
>understand what you mean by this.

I use two different currencies in my accounts and I have noticed that my
balance sheets never seem to balance. It turns out that the Unrealized
Gains(Losses) line item in the Liabilities section of the balance sheet
was wrong from the time I first used a currency other than USD. I see
that someone has already opened a bug report on this issue but I did not
want to just sit around waiting for a fix. I thought I might as well get
my hands dirty and try figure out why it was wrong. So generating a
report that shows the "workings" for that line item is my first step
toward fixing it. Actually my first step was just to generate ANY report. :)

I am using the Advanced Portfolio report (advanced-portfolio.scm) as a
template. It comes close to what I want so I was hoping I could just
extend if to cover all commodities and have it ignore "realized" gains.

>The docs are part of the specs.  In general the scheme function is just a
>wrapper around a C function of similar name, and the names are supposed
>to be fairly intuitive.  G-wrap creates html docs during wrapping, so you
>can search your gnucash build tree for those:
>
>  find . -name gw-\*.html
>
>No, these files are not installed.

Cool I will check them out. Thanks for the tip.