Report Writing Tips

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Jun 28 08:45:49 EDT 2004

Hi,

Peter Long <gnucash at petelong.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I have been using GnuCash for almost a year now. I would like to make a few
> small changes to some of the reports and possibly add a report or two. For
> example I would like a report the shows how the Unrealised Gains/Losses item
> are calculated.

You mean a report that lists the gain/loss transactions?  I'm not sure I
understand what you mean by this.

> So I was hoping for a few pointers. I have already made a copy of the
> advanced- portfolio.scm and I have it appearing off the Report menu in
> GnuCash. I am in the process of trying to figure out what it does. There is a
> lot to learn. I was wondering if there exists any documentation of all the
> gnc:* procedures that seem to be used. Or will I need to dig through the code
> to figure out what is available?

The docs are part of the specs.  In general the scheme function is just a
wrapper around a C function of similar name, and the names are supposed
to be fairly intuitive.  G-wrap creates html docs during wrapping, so you
can search your gnucash build tree for those:

  find . -name gw-\*.html

No, these files are not installed.

> Also is there any kind of development environment that I could use to debug
> the reports I write?

Unfortunately no.  Debugging scheme sucks.  :(

You just need to use a lot of (display) and/or (gnc:debug) statements.