Wishes to the new G-Wrap maintainer?

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Jun 30 10:28:46 EDT 2004

Andreas Rottmann <a.rottmann at gmx.at> writes:

> Hi!
>
> As I've taken over primary maintainership of G-Wrap[0], I'd just drop
> this message here as a heads-up and an opportunity for the GnuCash
> developers to provide input what you expect from G-Wrap in the
> future.

Congrats (or condolences, as the case may be).  I'm glad g-wrap
has a new maintainer, rather than languishing..

>>From waht I've read on this list lately, it seems some people want to
> replace G-Wrap with SWIG for GnuCash, which would be a pity,
> IMHO. Anyway, I'd like to hear any G-Wrap-related suggestions, hints
> and rants you might come up with.

The reason people are considering swig is that it provides bindings to
multiple languages, including perl, python, and tcl, not just guile.

On my g-wrap wishlist, in order:

1) proper guile-1.6 code generation (don't generate code that uses
   deprecated functions, e.g. change scm_{,un}protect_object to
   scm_gc_{,un}protect_object if building with guile-1.6.

2) port to glib2/gtk2

3) improved configure script that actually works, and tests for slib
   and qthread support.

4) proper co-existence with older g-wrap (i.e., versioned scheme files
   and/or versioned directories, as well as properly versioned .so files).
   For example, someone that had g-wrap-1.2 installed and then installed
   1.3.4 would fail to build gnucash because it would find the old 1.2
   g-wrap files and fail to work.