Online banking with OFX [was: python script for OFX Statement Download]

Benoit Grégoire bock at step.polymtl.ca
Mon Mar 1 01:26:29 CST 2004

On Sunday 29 February 2004 22:20, Jeremy Jongsma wrote:
> I got around to looking at this a little more.  Here's what I've been
> working on:
>
> 1) Compiling a list of bank information (capabilities, URLs of OFX
> servers, etc).  This is more or less done.  See
> http://www.jongsma.org/gc/ for details.  Pretty much everything I've
> found relating to OFX online transactions will make its way onto that
> page eventually.

Finally a list of servers adresses, THANK YOU!

> I also uploaded a copy of Microsoft's test definitions spreadsheet to my
> web site (see previous link).  This contains a definition of every OFX
> request/response transaction that MS Money supports.  It may be a useful
> reference for determining what types of transactions to support to
> support via GnuCash (i.e. online transfer, pin change, statement
> download, recurring transactions, etc).

Nice find, where did you get that?  (Any chance you could get your hands on
the old OFC (not OFX) DTD and specifications?)

It's expecially nice since it gives some clear milestones for the project.  I
think full support for the Banking scenario is quite doable in the medium
term.

> Has anyone volunteered to coordinate (or start) this project?  I'd be
> happy to help out, but I have a feeling it should involve someone who
> can actually code in C.  If anyone is currently thinking about this
> functionality or is interested in working on it let me know.  Otherwise
> I might have to pick up my C books again, and that'll be painful for
> everyone involved... :)

Well, as everyone sadly knows I am not quite as available as when I originally
wrote LibOFX, but I am still interested in leading the protocol side of
things.  I doubt I'll get very involved in the GUI side of things, as I don't
have access to a band with bidirectional OFX support, so I don't have a
personnal interest in that feature.

I plan to adapt Steve's script and swallow it into LibOFX as soon as I can
find time to do so.  That way there will be an interim codebase base for
others to hack on, and statement download frow within GnuCash shouldn't be
too far off.
--
Benoit Grégoire, http://step.polymtl.ca/~bock/