Online banking with OFX [was: python script for OFX Statement Download]

Jeremy Jongsma jeremy at jongsma.org
Tue Mar 2 13:56:58 CST 2004

Benoit Grégoire wrote:
> Finally a list of servers adresses, THANK YOU!

One warning though - in my poking around, I found that some servers DO
actually check the APPID and APPVER fields.  It's easy to spoof (I did
it in the ofx.py script in order to access all my accounts -
APPID=Money, APPVER=0900), but I'm not sure if there are other
implications to that.  At minimum, perhaps we could make it
user-customizable through some obscure setting.

>>I also uploaded a copy of Microsoft's test definitions spreadsheet to my
>>web site (see previous link).  This contains a definition of every OFX
>>request/response transaction that MS Money supports.  It may be a useful
>>reference for determining what types of transactions to support to
>>support via GnuCash (i.e. online transfer, pin change, statement
>>download, recurring transactions, etc).
>

> Nice find, where did you get that?  (Any chance you could get your hands on
> the old OFC (not OFX) DTD and specifications?)

Ask and ye shall receive... just added an OFC section to
http://www.jongsma.org/gc/.  Turns out it was buried in an old copy of
Visual Studio.

The OFXAudit spreadsheet came from Microsoft's Money partners web site -
  http://www.microsoft.com/money/partner/implofx.asp.

> Well, as everyone sadly knows I am not quite as available as when I originally
> wrote LibOFX, but I am still interested in leading the protocol side of
> things.  I doubt I'll get very involved in the GUI side of things, as I don't
> have access to a band with bidirectional OFX support, so I don't have a
> personnal interest in that feature.

As I've probably mentioned - my bank supports OFX, so I'd be happy to
help with testing when the time comes.  I'm also hoping to contact some
OFX server vendors and see if they have any interest in giving us access
to a test server.  That'll probably be a pretty tough sell though.

-j

--
Jeremy Jongsma
jeremy at jongsma.org