GnuCash page on GO site

msevior at physics.unimelb.edu.au msevior at physics.unimelb.edu.au
Mon Mar 1 10:18:17 CST 2004

> On Mon, Mar 01, 2004 at 10:37:03AM +0100, Rodrigo Moya was heard to
> remark:
>> >  For the gnucash engine, we implemented
>> > 'qof' to solve that need.  Actually, qof is older than gnomedb,
>> > Derek's re-write of qof is now the 3rd rewrite of the query engine.
>> > I don't think libgda even *has* a query engine.
>> >
>> what do you mean by a 'query engine'?
>
> To generate reports, we need the ability to perform queries
> over objects.  For example, we need to find all objects of type
> "split" between a start date and an end date, which belong to
> account XYZ;  this query is used to generate the checkbook register.

I've just coded a simplified version of this in python my little accounts
program. It's similar to the sort of data analysis we do in Particle
Physics research.

It looks like it's scalable up to about 10,000 accounts and 10,000
transactions but I haven't tested it.

> Another example: we need to find all objects of type "split",
> for any date, that are not marked reconciled, and belong to
> account XYZ.  We use this to populate the reconcile window.

Here my lack of knowledge of accounting takes over and I bow out of the
conversation...

Cheers

Martin