GnuCash page on GO site

Linas Vepstas linas at linas.org
Tue Mar 2 09:21:19 CST 2004

On Tue, Mar 02, 2004 at 03:18:17AM +1100, msevior at physics.unimelb.edu.au was heard to remark:
> > To generate reports, we need the ability to perform queries
> > over objects.  For example, we need to find all objects of type
> > "split" between a start date and an end date, which belong to
> > account XYZ;  this query is used to generate the checkbook register.
>
> I've just coded a simplified version of this in python my little accounts

python may have built-in stuff that makes searching generic object
instances for arbitrary field values easy; C does not.  GnuCash
is written in C.

> > Another example: we need to find all objects of type "split",
>
> Here my lack of knowledge of accounting takes over and I bow out of the

"split" is a (bad) name for "journal entry".  A collection of
journal entries that occur on the same date is a "transaction"
(a set of journal entries that occur on different dates but
concern the same object are a "lot").

--linas