Gnucash and QB

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Mar 4 00:18:03 CST 2004

Hi,

Don Bowman <don.bowman at zoom.co.uk> writes:

> I have been using both Quicken and QuickBooks for some time.  At first
> I was impressed with them both.  Quicken I still find quite
> reasonable.  QuickBooks, on the other hand, has just become bloatware.
>
> QB 2002 had a fundamental problem calculating account balances after
> entering a transaction.  On enquiry, the answer I got from Intuit was
> that they had much more important fixes to make and that if you came
> out of the account and then went in again the balance was correct.
>
> It seems that the more important stuff was QB 2003.
>
> Despite downloading upgrades from Intuit, my version of 2002 still has
> that problem.  So much for customer service!
>
> I signed up to gnucash.devel to see if there was ever any chance of a
> port to Windows, either directly or via Cygwin.  I keep promising to
> try it myself, but other things get in the way.

A chance?  yes.  but it would require someone to dedicate themselves
to the task.  The core developers are not planning to do this
themselves.  But we certainly would not object to a reasonable set of
patches to enable this port.  It would require someone to actually sit
down and think about the problem.

I suspect it will be much easier once the g2 port is finished...